4/12/12

paf: use a quote

Okay, you KNOW I love a good quote!  So combining photos and quotes in this challenge for Bonnie's Photo Art Friday - the hard part was stopping!

I used the same quote illustrated in a few different ways.  Hope you'll enjoy my vision.

"The question is not what you look at, but what you see."  Henry David Thoreau


This SOOC shot is brown hillside reflected in water and the gentle wake of our boat.  Sometimes "what you see" is just taking the time to really notice the details around you.  (No, I really didn't use the wave or any other PSE filter, though it looks like I did)


This image from San Juan Capistrano illustrates how "what you look at" might be many things - the texture of an old building, the play of light, the reflection of a tree in the glass, or the addition of some subtle texture (Bonnie's Vellum texture at multiply 80%).

Finally, "what you see" might be something that evolves, created from several photos combined to make a new image, full of meaning or maybe whimsy.


I combined the following three photos, turned the building, reduced opacity on the San Juan Capistrano bells and did a little judicious erasing.

Sunset from Alki Beach, Seattle.

A Las Vegas hotel.

Fountain and bells at San Juan Capistrano.

Be sure to check out other artistic offerings over at Photo Art Friday.

14 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:01 AM

    Always loved Thoreau :).
    Stay inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful photos! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1st photo is just wow - I could look at it for ages.

    Enjoyed the other 2 too and fun to see 3 very different pieces all related to the same quote

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photos and message! Your first photo is so beautiful...wow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my favourite quotes for us photographers :) I love that first image especially, so calm and peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photos! That is one of my favourite quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh your Trio of photos is fantastic. Each one is so different. My favorite is the 2nd one but they are all just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful photos Terrie! Like the words too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous2:26 PM

    Lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning photos. Love the last effect. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. a wise quote. :) I like those images.

    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is wonderful photos to a wonderful and wice quote!
    Have a great weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice work, Terrie. I like the wake from your boat. That image is very unusual. Also I love that you turned the building on its side. That combination of images is great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow Terrie - some great work here! LOVE that first image - just beautiful. And the selections and edits made for the composed image are wonderful. Love how turning the bldg. on its side gives the impression of a wall that goes with the other structures. Beautifully done. Thank you for sharing your talents with Photo Art Friday!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to add a comment. I value what you think!