4/22/14

quick little book

I discovered the helpful, fun site of Kiala Givehand and her self-challenge of creating A Book in A Day for each week of 2013.  She made a video of each and shares her process and some instructions..... I was inspired to create this version of one of her books. Here's my step by step process: (lots of pics ahead :)

Using pieces of my gelli prints, I cut 10 pieces about 4" tall by varying lengths long - longest maybe 10".  Fold each page in half.  You can see I have a little range of heights, though not any dramatic differences. TIP: it's sturdier and better to keep them all the same height (or within 1/8" or so) but the widths can vary to your heart's content.


Step 2: Cut a length of string/yarn/ribbon (I used embroidery floss) for each page.  Glue each page shut after snugging the string into the fold.  She used double sided tape; I used my glue stick.  Press pages under heavy book til well dried.

My pages glued with strings inserted.

Step 3:  Assemble the pages in the order you want, lining up all the folded edges evenly together.  Clamp them together so they don't move while you're tying them together.

Step 4:  Tie each string to the adjoining string until all pages are knotted together, top and bottom.

Then it's time for finishing touches - I took several of the top strings and tied them to bottom strings and added a bead - it's not necessary for holding the binding together, I just tried something new.....  I separated the threads of the floss to fringe it....



As you can see, my interior pages were all different lengths.....


Quick and fun!  - I'll show you as I fill it up a bit - I'm thinking......a bird theme.  Let me know if you give it a try.


6 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:39 AM

    I love seeing all your gelli plates into a fun book with colorful threads. NICE xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's gorgeous. The pages are so sturdy...perfect for adding collage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for sharing! i have been wanting to make a book but it always seems so daunting till your step by step tutorial . I'm going to give this one a shot :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what a gorgeous, fun book Terrie, I LOVE it. Thank-you so much for the step-by-step, will go on my 'to try' list for sure.
    Huge hugs x x x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely little book, will have to give this idea a run through, thanks for the destructions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great book! And thanks for the tip on Kiala's blog. There's lots of wonderful things to discover over there.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to add a comment. I value what you think!